Welcome to another Juicy DevBlog. This week has been very good in terms of progress. At this rate, I'm hoping I would have enough traps implemented to move on to some actual game play! Any-who, this week I have managed to clean the dive animations up a little more (probably would need a few more tweaks here and there, but they are looking pretty good at the moment), as well as finishing off the slime trap (again, still needs tweaking). Not only that, but I have also managed to implement a new trap! A Bomb.. wait, can I say that out loud?... Oh well.
The bomb was actually quite fun to implement. I was tossing up between a very unusual creature which sprouts up from the ground and explodes (similar to the creatures in 'Cup Head' (which is an amazing game by the way!)), but I felt that it didn't thematically work, so I stuck to the old school traditional bomb that you see in a lot of traditional 'Looney Tunes' cartoons.
I had a lot of fun personalizing this trap, especially it's secondary animation after it falls from the sky. Speaking about the bomb, it didn't take me 50 attempts this time to think about how I wanted it to look, which was awesome! It only took me one design concept. Although, it did help having other dust particles that had already been implemented to use as references. I really did have a lot of fun creating this trap!
Yes, the naming conventions aren't the greatest, but hey, I don't think I need to really touch this any more. Oh yes, and the frames are in reverse order from how they normally should look.
So yes, I still need to tweak a few settings for the slime trap, but it's getting there. As you may have (or have not) noticed, the slime itself has changed a little. The outline is gone from both the ball and the puddle. I felt as if the outline on the puddle looked strange, and didn't really feel right, so I removed it. Once I removed the outline for the puddle, the ball then looked out of place, so I had also removed the outline from it. I still might change it again later, but we'll see.
Not really much else to talk about this week. I have notice that things are getting easier to implement since I now have a rhythm for 2D animated assets, and what I need to do in order to apply them correctly to the specific function.
Hopefully next week i can focus more on traps which are orientated towards mass area destruction. Something like spikes which appear everywhere in a certain area, or flames that shoot up from the ground.... yes, I can already picture something >:) Anyway, thanks again for reading.
Again, if you have any feedback, I would love to hear from you, either on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram.
Until next week,